Tuesday 27 September 2011

Collecting my trays

Collecting my trays today, I have been waiting for this moment every since I read about invisalign on the internet. To tell you exactly how excited I was, the day previous I went sky diving, I was far more excited and nervous about picking my trays up then I was jumping out the plane! (How did the sky dive go? Very well thank you I raised a lot of money of charity, amazing feeling, do it if you ever have a chance, ok back to invisalign, sorry). I walked in the dentist very nervous and excited, walked up to reception and sat chatting to the lady at reception as they are all lovely who work at the dentist.

A few minutes later, who I believe to be my hygienist (apologise if I have understated you) called me in and asked me to sit down in the big dentist chair. Normally I really take great pride in appearance; make up has to be perfection, with my hair primed along with trying to keep up with the latest trends in fashion, although today I had to be up extremely early to travel to the dentist as I was stopping elsewhere the night before. This meant I had no makeup on, and quickly tied my hair up and minimal effort had been made with my clothes, as I was rather tired. To make me feel even better about myself my hygienist (who I am now going to call Sandra), asked me if I was feeling ok. I instantly knew she was referring to my washed out face as everybody tells me how tired I look and poorly when I do not wear “my face”. I assured her I felt fine.

She then went and fetched my tray and my goodie bag! (Yes, you heard me right! GOODIE bag, not sure, if everyone receives it that is on the invisalign programme or just at my dentist but I was extremely happy with the little gifts, made all the money I just paid for Invisalign worth it for those few seconds).  Sandra then said, if you are feeling sick (again, referring to my appalling appearance) you can try them now and wear them later when you are feeling better? I then nicely said thanks, but I just do not have make up on and I look very different, but honestly, I am feeling fine. I am not sure who was more embarrassed; to be honest I think it was I.

She then got my trays out of a little plastic sealed back and I felt it was Christmas all over again when I received my orange CD player with my first CD (Anyone wondering it was Cher – Believe). She then got out some tissue and said I will explain everything all over again and we will practice taking them in and out.

She then went over the little book that invisalign sends with your trays giving you some tips, how to insert them, how to remove them, how to care for them and how to store them and some commonly asked questions. Sandra had invisalign before me and she has finished her treatment so she was able to answer the question on a rather personal level, which helped loads. Finally, I was putting them in! I put the bottom ones in first gently pushing them on to my teeth, they rather snapped on, they felt rather tight (again, I am glad they did makes you think their working) and then I put the top ones in, Walaaa! She gave me a mirror and told me to have a look, and yes, they were invisible, apart from the couple of bumps I had on my two canines, (these are called attachments). The attachments help keep it tight and get good strong hold on your teeth.)

I was so happy I finally had them.  She then said “Can you take them off for me?” and then carried on to say “We have had people that have got home and then have rang in crying and sobbing because they just can’t get them off!” Again, I have read this all over internet, people first get their aligners and have not developed their own personal technique yet within the first couple of days. Ok, honestly I’m not bragging and may be eating words in a week’s time when I get my attachments but I was a pro from the off. I got my short stubbing nails right into the back of my mouth (It was an attractive technique it got the job done though) and peeling them off back to front, and then did the same with the bottom ones. Sandra was very happy and said, “You’re a natural!”

She then went through my little goodie bag with me, I got my little invisalign start pack this included two cases, one to keep the current ones in my mouth in so I can keep them clean and store them safety, another one to keep my last aligners in (in case I lose my current ones, break them etc). I also got some Colgate mouthwash, some travel Oral B toothpaste, a travel toothbrush, 6 Interdental brushes (If honest, I’ve not a clue about these sure there something to do with flossing). I have posted a picture with everything I got, I didn’t get the paracetamol and ibuprofen I thought I’d just be funny and add it in, jokes aside you will need them, believe me.


One thing Sandra said to me before I left, remember they are plastic this means they are flexible and quite strong as they have the ability to move your teeth although remember they are just plastic and can break easily.

Ok so I am leaving the dentist with my aligners in my mouth and my little pack, they felt tight but ok. Invisalign has started! My next post will be how I got on my first day!

Note to self: Don’t leave the house without your face on, check how to interdental brushes (and the sizes)

No comments:

Post a Comment